When to take your chicken to see your veterinarian
Added December 3, 2022
Emergency signs that require immediate veterinary care in chickens include:
- Difficulty breathing: Open-mouthed breathing, gasping, tail bobbing, increased sternal motion.
- Darkened/purple/blue comb
- Critically ill birds: These are the guys who are standing away from the other birds with their head lowered, feathers ruffled, and eyes partially to fully closed.
- Anorexic: Birds who have no appetite and haven't eaten in over 24 hours.
- Predator attack victims
- Traumatic injuries
- Maggots are present
- Prolapsed tissues
- Active bleeding, recent blood loss, or blood in droppings.
- Straining to pass an egg or droppings.
- Sudden collapse or seizuring
- Exposure to toxins: Ingestion, topical or aerosol